The Skinny...

READING: American Gods by Gaiman

WRITING: Still figuring that out.

Thursday, March 14, 2013

RUSSETTE'S REVIEWS #5


DRAGON KINGS OF THE ORIENT (Pulp Work Press)

Written by Percival Constantine


The second book in the Myth Hunter series: Dragon Kings of the Orient does not disappoint. I liked the first one and was quite interested in the idea of Elisa Hill, a myth hunter, and her allies heading east. I dig mythology, I do enjoy my martial arts movies and the like so if one adds a capable writer like Mr. Constantine and characters I'm interested in and familiar with this seemed a safe bet.

We get some interaction with the Masons this time out, specifically, a man named Shroud. In fact with the unusual Asami, a Japanese shapeshifter (introduced in the first Myth Hunter book), and Shroud making up half the cast we only have one person who we're relatively certain is on Elisa's side. Fifty percent solidarity in the pack is not great when having to go up against Chinese gods, dragons and of course Sun Wukong: the Monkey King.

Have I mentioned how much I dig mythology? I don't know a lot bout the Monkey King myth from China but from what I do know Mr. Constantine did a good job on characterization. I really liked Sun Wukong. The fleshing of Hill's mentor Max Finch was cool as well. I found myself wanting to learn more about him from back in his own myth hunting days. Elisa Hill was turned up a notch in the daring and bold category. We got more fights, action and new Asian weapon to help her cut down her foes. She took a more physical role in this book and I liked that quite a bit. She certainly rose to the otherworldly challenges she had no choice but to overcome. She did so in spades, too.

I was impressed with the amount of mythology and far east geography that pops up in this story. It was clear to me that Mr. Constantine didn't just guess. He did the leg work and researched. That counts with me.

I would certainly recommend reading the Myth Hunter series to anyone looking for modern day mythology and action in their literary diet. The epilogue absolutely hooked me and I better not have to wait long to read book three. I am not a patient man.

New Pulp. It Satisfies.

CWR
3/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment